The Museum
 
The museum of the Foundation at Zollikerstrasse 172 in Zurich
From 1960: Foundation E.G. Bührle Collection

On 24 February 1960, the collector’s widow and children, Charlotte Bührle-Schalk, Dr. Dieter Bührle and Hortense Anda-Bührle establish the Foundation E.G. Bührle Collection, domiciled in Zurich. They hand over three-fifths of the works from Emil Bührle’s collection to the Foundation based on a partition devised by Arthur Kauffmann. The partition ensures that the structure and integrity intended by the collector remain visible in the Foundation. The Foundation is established in the house on Zollikerstrasse 172 where the collector stored his pictures. The entire villa, which dates from 1886, is now converted into a museum and is opened to the public in June 1960.

In 1976, the house on Zollikerstrasse is thoroughly renovated. All the costs for operating and maintaining the museum continue to be met by the collector's family. To celebrate the centenary of Bührle’s birth, a selection of important pictures from the Foundation and the private collection is exhibited in 1990-91 at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C., the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Montreal, the Yokohama City Museum and the Royal Academy of Arts in London.

On 10 February 2008, the museum falls prey to armed robbers. Four of the collection's major works are stolen from the Large Hall on the ground Floor, including Paul Cézanne's Boy with a Red Waistcoat and three paintings by Degas, van Gogh and Monet. The pictures by van Gogh and Monet are retrieved one week later in a nearby car park, the pictures by Cézanne and Degas are returned to the foundation in April 2012, after intensive investigations.